Each year, academic deans are invited to nominate up to two academic faculty members to be considered as a Regents' Professor and up to one research faculty member for Regents' Researcher. The executive director of GTRI may nominate up to two research faculty members for consideration of Regents' Researcher. Learn more here.
Academic Faculty Nomination to Regents’ Professor
How the Regents’ Professor Nomination process works
Regents’ Professor Nominations are handled separately from the RPT process.
Regent’s Professorships are granted by the Board of Regents to outstanding tenured, full professors, based on excellence in research and contributions to their profession and to Georgia Tech. School chairs are asked to nominate a full, tenured professor. For more information, visit the Board of Regents' Policy Manual.
A college committee consisting of Regents’ or other chaired professors, as recommended by the school chairs, will review the candidates’ packages and make recommendations to the dean, who will then review the documentation, select two candidates ( the number allowed for COE), and forward his/her recommendations to the Provost.
Process and Package Contents for Regents' Professor
- Nominee’s current CV. GT format for CV recommended but not required. (provided by nominee to school chair)
- One paragraph biographical sketch (provided by nominee to school chair)
- Nomination letter from the school chair to the dean (provided by school chair)
- Letter of recommendation from the College Regents' Committee to the dean (about January)
- Dean’s letter of recommendation to the Provost (about February)
- The Institute Regents’ Professor Nomination Committee, comprised of Regents' Professors or other chaired professors as recommended by the college deans, meets to review the nominations and will forward their recommendations to the President. The President sends the packages of the selected nominees to the Board of Regents. The nominee must receive a unanimous recommendation from the Institute Regents' Committee and the President before the nomination will be transmitted to the Board of Regents.
Decisions for Regents’ Professor Nominations
The decision of the Board of Regents is sent to Office of the Provost (Faculty Affairs). Faculty Affairs then informs the dean of the outcome (about April). The dean will notify the school chair and the selected candidate.
College of Sciences Regents' Professors
- Jean-Luc Brédas (Chemistry)
- Leonid Bunimovich (Mathematics)
- Mostafa El-Sayed (Chemistry)
- Mark E. Hay (Biological Sciences)
- Walter de Heer (Physics)
- Nicholas Hud (Chemistry)
- Uzi Landman (Physics)
- Seth Marder (Chemistry)
- Jeffrey Skolnick (Biological Sciences)
- Prasad Tetali (Mathematics, Computer Science)
- Turgay Uzer (Physics)
April 2020: The College of Sciences remembers Regents’ Professor Robin Thomas.
Updated July 2020.